Friday 24 June 2011

Poor excuse for a blog!

Three weeks ago was the Southern XC at Crow Hill. I love this course because of the short and steep climbs and loose descents covering most of the course. Unfortunately there is also a section of flat windy track which I struggled to keep momentum on. From the start I felt pretty strong, and didn’t feel the need for a granny ring on any of the climbs. I was leading a group of 3 and just catching a group in front when I lost concentration on a flat corner towards the end of the lap and lost my front wheel. Once I had picked myself up I had lost about 10 – 15 seconds. I never caught that group again and spent the rest of the race on my own. On the penultimate lap I had another similar crash after which I had to straighten my handlebars and lost even more time. I still finished 7th but had it not been for those crashes I could have been pushing for a podium finish.


The following weekend was the 3rd BMBS at Wasing estate. After doing a pre-ride with team mate Andy Cockburn I was looking forward to my first national in the expert category. The course was arguably more fun after some rain than when it was bone dry at the southern a few weeks earlier. I was praying for no more rain because I only had a semi-slick tyre on the back. For the majority of the race its self I was struggling for power, especially on the flat sections. As the race progressed the course got steadily more slippery. I got a reasonable start and managed to drop a group of riders before spending the rest of the race trading places with Scott Chappell. On the last lap I managed to give myself a small lead and although I got caught it kept me in front coming off the last corner and I managed to hold my position in the sprint. I was pretty happy with this result looking at the people I was competing with and the fact my pace didn’t really drop off towards the end. I also didn’t have any stupid crashes which is a definite step in the right direction!


Since Wasing I have managed to sort out some job security, for the time being at least, so I should be able to concentrate on training for the national champs in July. I have been in the lakes for the last week and managed a couple of rides with mates, and a lot of hiking so I am feeling pretty lean now. I am heading to Portugal in about an hour and I’m hoping I can squeeze another ride or two in out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment