Friday 26 August 2011

Bikefood Pure Energy


A couple of weeks ago I was sent a pre-production sample of the new Bikefood pure energy gel. I have to admit that in the past I haven’t been a massive fan of using gels. One main reason is the cost. The other is the fact that they usually taste like sickly artificial gloup. Like all Bikefood products, it promises to be free from anything artificial, and suitable for even the most fussy vegan eaters. I have used it a couple of times now. The first time I used it was in the middle of in interval session on the turbo last week. I didn’t want to risk it causing issues with my stomach while I was out on a group ride or in a race. I needn’t have worried. All I noticed was a pleasant (compared to other gels I have used) honey and lemon flavour, and a slight peak in energy levels. Primary risk assessment over with, I took some out as an emergency top-up for the long road ride I did last week, and then on a couple of interval sessions this week. Each time I have used it in conjunction with my normal mix of Bikefood energy drink and have noticed no side effects. I seem to have knocked out some pretty good sessions while using it now so I will be using it in the next race to see if it can help me to kick on in the latter stages.
As you can see from the picture, the gel comes in a big bottle which holds 16 servings, and comes with a refillable shot bottle. This should be great for stopping people from discarding empty wrappers around a course, and if more riders used these, it would definitely reduce the amount of time organisers spend tidying up after a race. This is a massive benefit compared to any other products on the market in my opinion.

Nutrition is a very personal thing and most people will be happy to stick to what they are used to and what agrees with their stomach. I am not going to say everyone should go online and buy some of this but I will be sticking with it from now on as it seems to hit the spot in terms of performance and flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment