Thursday 24 November 2011

The End is Nigh!

It is official. The weather has drawn in, full tights, lights and mudguards are now commonplace so I am calling an end to the season! 2011 seems to have rushed by. A year ago today I was lying in bed with a broken back, wondering when I would be able to ride a bike again. At that point I had no real expectations for the season ahead. I had a vague prognosis from the doctors and reassurances that I would not be permanently affected. Since that point I have had very few set-backs, just slow week-on-week progress. Bizarrely this season has been my most successful yet, with wins in the Southern XC (in sport) and the Ratz Rampage (in Expert) and Second places in my first race back (Sherwood BMBS), a Rampage and the 4hr solo at Bristol Oktoberfest. Despite these podiums, my standout result of the season has to be 9th at the final round of the BMBS in Plymouth. I have not had my usual endurance this season but in that race I really felt like I was getting back to my previous level. In the early part of the season I struggled to really push myself and I was finishing races and barely braking into a sweat. The interval sessions I used during the season seemed to be helping with that.

Some of the credit for my recovery has to go to my coach, Robin, from Areufit.co.uk. It has been great having someone else draw up my training schedule, making sure I stick to it and to discuss my progress with. Hopefully I can have less contact with cars and have a proper winter training season with some good base training miles and ramp up the training to start next year in good form. The aim is still to get promoted into Elite and working with Robin should hopefully make that more achievable.

For next season I have taken the decision to leave Columbia-Bikefood. I have been with the team for 2 seasons, and done everything I can to represent the team and the sponsors well. Obviously I will still support the team at races and maybe guest ride for them at a team event or two. I want to thank Jason for running the team and for bringing some great sponsors on board, Especially Bikefood, Duffbag and Hardnutz who have served me well and supported me through my injury. Also thanks to all of the riders for making the team atmosphere what it has been and good luck to everyone for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment