Tuesday 8 February 2011

Recovery 3?

It’s been nearly a month since I last updated my blog and I don’t have any real excuse for the lack of activity. At that time I was just starting to sit on the turbo trainer and do a little bit of swimming. I have gradually increased the time spent on the turbo and managed a full 30 minutes on both Saturday and Sunday. I am still concentrating on high cadence low resistance riding concentrating on pedalling smoothly rather than power work so it is pretty tedious. Even more so when watching the Ireland Italy 6 nations match which was absolutely dire! My plan is to mix 20 and 30 minute sessions this week, then try to do a 45 minute session and possibly an hour session next weekend. You might be thinking this is just too much fun for one man, but it doesn’t stop there. I will try to fit a run and a swim in at some point this weekend so I really am a lucky boy! I am also having to fight for my turbo time because Emma has decided it is a good way to do some exercise while catching up on her reading!


My back is holding up pretty well to the increased training load. I still get quite sore if I sit in an unsupportive chair or stand for too long but my threshold is improving steadily. On the turbo I am working on getting used to having my hands on the hoods and moving down to the drops for short periods. My flexibility is definitely worse than it was so when I get back out on a real road bike I will probably be in for a shock.


The thing that is keeping me going at the moment is the thought of racing. I am still aiming for a return to racing at the BMBS 1 at Sherwood Pines at the end of March. This is just over 1 month away, which, at this stage, feels very close. Hopefully I will be meeting up with most of the team on the Saturday before the race for some pictures for the website and a good chat. I can’t wait because I haven’t seen anyone from the team since August last year. It will also be good to get hold of a new helmet and kit.


The other race I will be doing is the Dyfi endure in Machynnleth (or something like that) in North Wales. This event is listed as my favourite race on the team website. Its always a great 60km course and the socializing before and after is unlike any other event I go to. It seems it is a favourite of a lot of other people too because the 750 places sold out in 2hours 30 mins today! That race is on the 2nd of May so I have a while to tune up my fitness and handling skill in time for it.


Hopefully I will update my blog more than once a month from now on now that I am starting to have a bit more of an active life again!

No comments:

Post a Comment